Center of Institutions, Economics and the Law in Egypt (CIELE)
Since March 2012 ILE cooperates with different universities in the Arab region within the framework of the DAAD Transition Partnership program.
The aim of this cooperation is to promote the dissemination of the subject of New Institutional Economics and in particular the economic analysis of law in transition countries.
Within this cooperation, the first textbook on institutional economics has been translated into Arabic and the "Center for Institutions, Economics and the Law" was established at the University of Cairo. It aims at integrating Law and Economics in the curricula of partner universities and exchanging both staff and students between the institutions for capacity building in the field of Law and Economics. The center also provides the necessary literature and serves as a focal point for the relevant scientific papers in "Law & Economics".
In addition to the ILE four faculties in Egypt and Tunisia are currently involved:
- Faculty of Economics and Political Science, Cairo University
- Faculty of Law and Political Sciences, University of Sousse
- ESSEC Business School de Tunis, University Tunis
- Department of Economics, British University in Egypt (BUE)
CIELE activities in cooperation with ILE include:
- Joint Supervision for MSc and PhD students
- Workshops on Law and Economics
- Annual Summer School for Undergraduate students at ILE, Hamburg
- Annual Winter School for Undergraduate Students in Egypt or Tunisia
- Graduate Summer school at ILE, Hamburg
- Research Stays for Staff at ILE, Hamburg
- Graduate Courses
- Translation of Professor Stefan Voigt’s distinguished book on Institutional Economics from German to Arabic; hence providing the first textbook in this area in Arabic language.