Prof. Dr. Matthias Armgardt
Nucleus-Professorship for Global Legal History and Private Law
Faculty of Law
Chair of Global Legal History and Civil Law
- By appointment
Tel: +49 40 42838-4541
Fax: +49 40 42838-6938
Sekretariat von Prof. Dr. Matthias Armgardt
Tel: +49 40 42838-4542
Please click here for the chair's website.
- since autumn 2020: holder of the Chair for Global Legal History and Civil Law in Hamburg
- 2019 - 2020: head of the law department at the University of Konstanz
- in autumn 2018: visiting professor at UBC Vancouver
- since 2018: professor at the 'Summerschool on Law and Logic' hosted at the European University Institute in Florence together with Harvard Law School
- since 2018: associate researcher at the 'Centre d'Histoire et d'Anthropologie du Droit', Paris X
- in SS 2017: visiting professor at the University of Bologna
- 2012 - 2018: vice rector for teaching and curricular affairs at the University of Konstanz
- 2012 - 2015: director of the German and French interdisciplinary research project 'Jurisprudence and Logic' (together with Prof. Shahid Rahman, Lille III)
- 2010 - 2020: involved in the cluster of excellence 'Kulturelle Grundlagen der Integration' on the cultural foundations of integration at the University of Konstanz
- 2009 - 2020: holder of the Chair for Private Law, Ancient Legal History, Roman Law and Newer History of Private Law at the University of Konstanz
- in WS 2008/2009 and SS 2009: interim chairholder at the Leopold-Wenger-Institute, 'Abt. A' for ancient legal history and papyrology, of the LMU Munich
- 2007: habilitation on 'Antikes Lösungsrecht' supervised by Prof. Klaus Luig at the University of Cologne (venia: private law, ancient legal history and the history of modern private law)
- 2005 - 2007: postdoctoral researcher at the 'Chair for Private Law, Ancient Legal History and Roman Law' of the Ruhr University Bochum, 'Hebraicum' examination in Hebrew at the Faculty for Protestant Theology of the Ruhr University Bochum
- 1999 - 2005: partner of a corporate law firm with a focus on M&A, private building- and construction law as well as IT-law
- 'Zweites Staatsexamen' at the higher regional court 'Oberlandesgericht Düsseldorf'
- doctorate on the application of mathematical logic to the law by G. W. Leibniz under the supervision of Prof. Klaus Luig at the University of Cologne
- research associate of Prof. Klaus Luig at the institute for the history of modern private law 'Institut für Neuere Privatrechtsgeschichte' of the University of Cologne
- 'Erstes Staatsexamen' at the higher regional court 'Oberlandesgericht Hamm'
- studies of law in Bochum and Cologne, assistant to Prof. Hermann Dilcher, scholarship from the 'Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes'
- 1988: 'Abitur' at the Gymnasium Laurentianum in Arnsberg
- 1968: born in Arnsberg, Westfalen (Germany)
- visit website containing the up to date publication list