Newsletter International Office
Welcome to the first newsletter of the International Office of our Faculty.
International News #1
A. Prof. Dr. Markus Kotzur, LL.M. (Duke) is the new Vice Dean for International Relations
In April 2020, Professor Dr. Kotzur has taken over the office of Vice Dean for International Relations from Professor Dr. Jeßberger.
International issues have been one of the defining characteristics of our faculty ever since its foundation in 1919. Today, we take the lead for the university-wide emerging research field of "Law in Global Contexts", this requires new internationalisation impulses in both, teaching and research. Our "International Office", in cooperation with the Deans’ Office and in close connection with the Department of International Affairs, wants to support the faculty's efforts in this direction (in terms of infrastructure). As the responsible Vice Dean, I am very pleased to be able to contribute together with my colleagues Eva Leptien, Martina Lasczewski and Linda Dammermann.
Of course, you all know that we exist, but in your day-to-day business you may not even be aware of how and where the International Office can help, support, bundle activities, network our international guests or simply be a point of contact for your questions. Therefore, we would like to inform you about our activities and initiatives in a regular newsletter in the future. I know all of your email accounts are overflowing with information of all kinds that is why we will keep the newsletter concise. We are always available to answer any further questions you may have. We are curious about your ideas and grateful for your "support".
Here, I would like to give you an overview of what to expect in our regular updates. In the coming months, we plan to report on offers for the internationalisation of teaching, the expansion and consolidation of international cooperation networks, the development of international research networks, digitisation opportunities with an international connection and much more. The Covid-19 pandemic holds challenges for our internationalisation strategy that we could not have imagined a year ago but at the same time it shows us how important it is to work digitally and internationally, especially in times of crisis.
We hope - not only for this reason - that you will be interested in our newsletter.
Best regards from the International Office,
B. Zoom consultation hours International Office
We cordially invite you to our Zoom consultation hours. This is just another way for you to reach us and clarify any questions or concerns, you may have. You are also welcome to drop by to quickly say "hello".
Every Monday 11:00 - 11:30 a.m.
Meeting-ID: 933 2832 9176
C. Visiting Scholars – at the Faculty of Law
Last year, the faculty welcomed a total of 40 visiting scholars from all over the world. In addition to international doctoral students we also had professors from various continents visit us.
Would you also like to host a guest? Do you have questions about the procedure? Then please contact us! We will be happy to assist you with the contact and invitation letters as well as with the preparations for the stay.
Please note: Due to Covid-19, we are currently not allowed to issue official invitations. In the meantime, we remain in contact with all visiting scholars and hope to welcome them later this year.
D. Virtual mobility: Study abroad and at UHH with the eMobi@Dg2 network
Universität Hamburg joined the Virtual Mobility Network in late 2020. Currently, approximately 200 online courses are offered within the network. The partner universities are located in nine countries and on four continents.
The network gives our students the opportunity to take courses at the partner universities and have them recognised as a foreign language certificate or as their key qualification (for more information on the criteria for recognition, contact Martina Lasczewski).
You can find more details about a virtual stay abroad on the website of the Department for International Affairs.
This information is also of interest to you students, please pass it along if you have the opportunity.
We would also like to welcome virtual exchange students at our faculty. We will open up individual courses for the Dg2@eMobi network starting this summer semester 2021 and give selected students the opportunity to participate.
E. Funding opportunities
Central funds are available for cooperation with the strategic partners and key/potential partners of Universität Hamburg. An overview of the partner universities can be found here, a tabular overview of the different funding lines by region can be found at here. Applications for funding are usually submitted by researchers at the Universität Hamburg.
The following funding lines of the Department of International Affairs are currently open and also relevant for you in times of Covid:
- Innovative Teaching and Learning Formats (ILLF) (incl. digital) to expand collaborative teaching partnerships, involvement of students in existing academic collaborations, long-term development of learning and teaching formats. Be creative! Funding up to 10.000€.
- Global Classroom: Hamburg - Indiana: Teaching project with Indiana University, USA. Existing, complementary courses are taught at each university and linked with a virtual student collaboration. Funding up to 4.500€.
- Digital teaching by international partners: Guest lecture for the internationalisation of digital teaching through collaboration with partner universities e.g.: lectures and sessions by international partners in addition to the existing curriculum. Funding up to 500€ per 90 minute lecture.
- Seed Funding Initiation, establishment, and deepening of academic collaboration in research and teaching. Funding depends on the partner university.
- COVID-19 Funding to strengthen international collaboration in research, education and combating COVID-19 and its associated impacts. Funding up to 15.000€.
- Next Generation Partnerships – Workshops and Conferences funding for the creation and expansion of multilateral networks; no fixed topic or faculty. Funding of up to €12,000 financed with Excellence Strategy funds.
- Flexible Funding to strengthen international cooperation through innovative ideas in research, teaching and transfer. Funding is also possible outside the partner network of Universität Hamburg. Please consult with Dept. 5 in advance.
Please note the details on the respective funding opportunities on the linked websites.
A detailed overview of all current calls for research funding (incl. scholarships) in German-speaking countries from various funding sources (ministries, foundations, EU, etc.) is summarised on the ELFI platform. Simply follow this Link and customise your search.
- Are you organising (digital, hybrid) conferences, summer schools or have you landed an exciting new project?
- Would you like to host international researchers?
- Do you have questions about the various calls, whether internal to UHH or from third party funding bodies?
- Would you like to go abroad?
Get in touch with us!
As we would like to increase the visibility of the many international activities, we would be happy to hear about your projects and publish them here or on our website.
The International Office
Team lead and advisor International Office
Tel.: +49 40 42838-8749
Tel.: +49 40 42838-5775
Tel.: +49 40 42838-2349