- Read the information sheet on doctoral studies and the doctoral regulations
- Search for a supervisor
- Compile admission documents
- Only if all documents are complete, the application for admission can be submitted online via Docata.
- Attention: If you lack the exposé relevant for admission or if you cannot present a seminar certificate (admission is possible with a seminar certificate) you can enroll as PhD candidate under „Rechtswissenschaft - Studienvorbereitung (Propädeutikum)“ for two semesters in order to be able to use the library or attend a seminar. Once these admission requirements are also met, you can apply for admission in Docata and proceed with the next steps. Information on enrollment as PhD candidate under „Rechtswissenschaft - Studienvorbereitung (Propädeutikum)" can be found here.
- Enrollment at the University of Hamburg
- Preparation of the dissertation
- Submission or upload in Docata of the dissertation after three years of processing time
- Conduct of the disputation and determination of the overall grade from the results of the dissertation and disputation by the examination committee
- Notification of the result to the office of the doctoral committee by the chairperson of the examination committee
- Publication of the dissertation within two years
- Submission of the twelve obligatory copies to the office of the doctoral committee
- Entitlement to use the title and receipt of the doctoral certificate
Office of the doctoral committee
- Receipt of the admission documents in Docata
- Processing of the application for admission
- If the application is complete, sending of the letter of admission via Docata
- Confirmation of receipt of the dissertation and related documents via Docata
- Appointment of the examination board
- The dissertation is made available to the reviewers via Docata.
- Notification of the appointment of the reviewers to the doctoral candidate in Docata
- Preparation of the reviews by reviewers within three months
- Upload of the review in Docata
- Notification of the examination board and the doctoral candidate about the receipt of the reviews as well as the interpretation of the dissertation in the doctoral office
- Planning of the disputation after confirmation of acceptance of the dissertation and admission to the disputation
- Issuing of the invitation to the disputation after confirmation of the date as well as the approval or rejection of the faculty public and the notification of the language chosen for the disputation by the doctoral candidate in Docata
- Dispatch of the invitation to the examination board and the doctoral candidate in Docata
- Issuance and approval of the interim report by the chair of the doctoral committee in Docata.